Sterilization is a process of removing microorganisms from products, packaging materials, equipment, and machines.
Types of Sterilization
- Heat Sterilization
- Radiation Sterilization
There are two types of the heat sterilization process.
- Dry Heat Sterilization
- Moist Heat Sterilization
Dry Heat Sterilization
Dry heat sterilization is the most reliable process among the sections of heat sterilization. There are two major concerns of dry heat sterilization.
- Easy to apply
- Maximum death of microorganism can be achieved.
Factors Influencing Sterilization By Heat [Dry + Moist]
- Temperature and time
- Number of microorganisms present
- Characteristics of the microorganisms
- Types of material from which organisms have to be eradicated.
How Microorganisms Can be Killed
- Denature of protein
- Interruption of DNA synthesis
- Interruption with protein synthesis
- Disruption of cell membranes
How Sterilization Process Kill Microorganisms
- Disruption of cell wall
- Damage to the cytoplasmic membrane causes cellular content to leak out
- Damage to viral envelope interrupts viral replication